Home Community Calendar Links Bios Blogs Store Contact Us
It is currently Mon Sep 15, 2014 9:52 pm

View unread posts | View new posts | View your posts

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 12:20 pm 
Loafer
Loafer

Has liked: 72 times
Have likes: 42 times
Now that I am ramping up my training for the Derby Marathon, I'm trying to decide on how best to lay out my training schedule and record my runs.

Last year I had a brick cellphone so I would do my runs and try to remember all my turns so I could map it out afterwards. Not a very efficient system.

I got an iPhone last year and I've been using RunKeeper exclusively. I recently have been checking into other options such as MapMyRun, Nike+ or getting a Garmin watch (probably can't afford it right now). So my question is, how do you record your runs? I'd like to hear all the different ways everyone else monitors there pace/distance/calories etc.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image

5K - 23:30 New-Sgt. David Wimberg Memorial
4 Mile - 29:53 2012 Borodash
5 Mile - 43:53
10 Mile - 1:25:12
1/2 Marathon - 1:51:45
Marathon - 4:25:40 2013 Derby Marathon

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 12:40 pm 
Site MVP
Site MVP

Has liked: 210 times
Have likes: 184 times
If I'm planning a new route, I use mapmyrun.com for the general layout.

I record my workout with a Garmin 405 GPS watch with heart rate monitor. If I neglect to charge it, then I'll use one of three apps: runkeeper, strava, or mapmyrun.

For this post robbenefiel has received likes from: jclowers5 (Tue Jan 08, 2013 1:17 pm)
  Rating: 9.09%

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 3:51 pm 
Loafer
Loafer

Has liked: 38 times
Have likes: 50 times
I have used Run Keeper and mapmyrun. I think they are really about the same, it just comes down to your preference. One thing you can do with run keeper that mapmyrun doesn't have, is that you can pick a playlist to save to the app so that your music will begin automatically when you begin your run.

I have had an issue with both apps tho. They will both miscalculate time and distance every once in a while. One time it said I ran 11 miles in 50 minutes when I actually ran about 5 miles in 50 minutes. It doesn't happen often but it's frustrating when it does so just be aware of that. One thing I have found that fixes it is if you start it, let it run for a minute or two, then discard that activity, and restart it when you begin your run it usually works.

I'm not really techy or into gadgets and such. So that's really the extent of my experience with any running apps. I just run to run so these two apps work well for me. But there probably are better options for more serious runners.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 4:17 pm 
Sponger
Sponger

Has liked: 73 times
Have likes: 203 times
I use Runkeeper exclusively. I've looked at others, but I just prefer the website, layout and features of Runkeeper most of all. Plus, it has every run I have done since I started running two years ago (even when I tried others, I logged my runs in Runkeeper too) so that makes it easy to keep up with shoe mileage and year-long records.

Morgan Conservation Park 5 Mile - Sep 21
6.66 Miles of Pure Screamin' Hell in the dark - Oct 31
Siltstone Trail 1/2 Marathon - Nov 9

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 4:43 pm 
Loafer
Loafer

Has liked: 64 times
Have likes: 163 times
I currently use my Garmin GPS exclusively now. But before I got that, I first used MapMyRun, which I didn't feel was very accurate. Then switched to RunMeter (exclusive to iPhone) and loved it! I usually get a blank stare when I say RunMeter because it is not the most heard of popular app, but I thought it was great.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 2:08 pm 
Founding Member
Founding Member

Has liked: 108 times
Have likes: 218 times
My current app of choice is Digifit. I've used over a dozen in the past. What I like about Digifit is it works with my Garmin Ant+ HR monitor and Garmin Ant+ foot pod. Also from the app I can share my run via amil, Facebook, Twitter, Dailymile, RunKeeper and several other apps. Just my app of choice for now who knows in another month.

{5K - 26:03} - {5Mi - 48:28} - {10K - 52:13} - {15K - 1:21:26} - {10M - 1:26:32} - {HM - 1:54:42} - {M - 5:21:46}

For this post Tom has received likes from: jclowers5 (Thu Jan 10, 2013 7:20 am)
  Rating: 9.09%

View unread posts | View new posts | View your posts